Home electrical systems are complex, and dealing with a suspected issue can be dangerous. While electrical outlets and wiring can last for many years, it is possible for problems to develop that put your home at risk. Watching out for these signs of a failing or damaged electrical system helps you know when to call in the professionals.
Detecting a Burning Odor
A burning odor is a reason for alarm, especially when you know that no one’s been cooking. Overheating electrical systems often generate a burning, chemical-like odor. At times, overheating wires may begin to melt down plastic and other materials, which can lead to a house fire.
Seeing Flickering Lights
If your lights dim when you turn on an appliance or flicker consistently, it may be a sign that something is going wrong with the electrical system. Flickering lights could be caused by faulty wiring, outlets, and switches. Or, there might be an overloaded circuit. Electricians in Montgomery County, PA can conduct an inspection to find out what exactly is causing the issue.
Hearing Unusual Noises
Hissing, popping, and crackling are not noises that you want to hear coming from an electrical outlet. These noises could be caused by loose wiring connections, improperly installed outlets, and other serious issues that need professional repairs. If you notice an outlet making noise, don’t plug in a new appliance, since this could make the problem worse.
Sometimes, an outlet will release a small spark when you plug in an appliance. However, this spark should be brief, and it should stop once the connection is complete. Outlets that spark or arc without provocation are a completely different story. An outlet that arcs large sparks could cause the carpet and other nearby flammable materials to catch on fire. Sparking could occur if an outlet gets water damage, or it might be caused by frayed wires or poor wiring connections. Make sure to tell your electrician in Lansdale about any major sparks you see from outlets, especially if they occur while the outlet isn’t in use.
Dealing With Frequent Tripped Breakers
Breakers can trip occasionally, but there is usually a clear case for a one-time event. For instance, the breakers may trip due to a power surge that occurs during a storm or from using too many appliances at once. However, this shouldn’t happen on a repetitive basis. If it does, then it may be time to update the wiring or replace a damaged breaker. If our house is older, then an electrician may also recommend replacing an outdated circuit panel to correct the issue.
Schedule An Electrical Inspection Today
Are you worried about flickering lights, odd noises or smells coming from your home’s electrical system? Our electricians can help you get to the bottom of the problem and find an effective solution. Give us a call today!